UN INIA/ILC-I’s International training programme on “Social Gerontology”
ILC-I is privileged to be recognized as the United Nations’ International Institute on Ageing (UN INIA), Malta’s Satellite Centre for the SAARC region. As the UN INIA Satellite Centre for the SAARC region, ILC-I held the ‘in-situ’ international training programme on “Social Gerontology’ in collaboration with the Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), from the 11th to the 15th of April 2016 at the TISS campus in Mumbai, India.
The Inauguration of this programme was held on the 10th of April 2016 at TISS. Dr. Marvin Formosa, the Director, UN INIA, Malta was the Chief Guest. Dr. Shivajirao Kadam, the Vice Chancellor of the Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University (BVDU), was the Guest of Honour. Mr. Jayant Umranikar, the Chairman of ILC-I presided over the acheter lasix function. Other dignitaries on the occasion were, Dr. Siva Raju, the Dean and Chairman, School of Development Studies, TISS and Ms. Rosette Bonello-Farrugio, the Programme and Research Manager of UN INIA, Malta.
The Council of the Satellite Centre met for the first time on the 10th of April 2016, since it was constituted in July 2015 and the meeting was organized by ILC-I, with the logistical support of TISS and BVDU.
The Council Members are:
- Chairperson: Mr. Jayant Umranikar, Chairman, ILC-I.
- Vice Chairperson: Dr. Marvin Formosa, Director, UN INIA, Malta.
- Ms. Rosette Farrugia Bonello, Research and Programme Manager, UN INIA, Malta.
- Dr. Siva Raju, Professor & Dean, Centre for Population Health and Development, School of Development Studies, Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS).
- Ms. Anjali Raje, Executive Director, ILC-I.
- Dr. Bhushan Patwardhan, Director, School of Health Sciences, University of Pune.
- Dr.(Ms). Ferdous Ara Begum, Executive President, Forum for the Rights of the Elderly, Bangladesh, Gender Issues Specialist, Former Member of UN CEDAW Committee &Former Director General, Bangladesh Television.
- Dr. (Ms.) Shiromi Maduwage, Consultant Community Physician, National Programme Manager, Elderly & Disability Unit, Ministry of Health, Sri Lanka.
- Dr. (Ms.) Lochana Shrestha, Head of Department of Community Medicine, Nepalese Army Institute of Health Science, Kathmandu, Nepal and Chairman, Health Home (Elderly) Care, Nepal.
- Dr. (Prof.). Shivajirao Kadam, Vice Chancellor, Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University.
This was a multi-disciplinary Training Programme in Social Gerontology, designed by an International Expert Group, and aimed to provide a broad and up-to-date understanding of the complex and far-reaching consequences and challenges of population ageing brought in by the longevity revolution.
Some of the topics covered were-: A global perspective on ageing, & some of its Key concepts , Social, economic, psychological, medical & health aspects of ageing; The Madrid International Plan of Action on Ageing, Policies on older persons in India; Maintenance & welfare of parents / Senior Citizens Act of India 2007; Feminisation of ageing; Intergenerational solidarity; Elder Abuse, and a lot more.
Participants were oriented to help evolve and implement appropriate policies, programmes and interventions which will ensure for the elderly, a healthy and qualitative life. The participants were professionals from different fields and two of them were from Nepal. The participants included medical doctors, professors from Universities, research scholars, professionals working in retirement communities or old age homes, senior citizens, and also acheter priligy included international participants from Nepal. The common factor here was their concern for population ageing and their commitment towards this cause.
A strong faculty of resource persons from UN INIA, (including Dr.Marvin Formosa, the Director, UN INIA and Ms. Rosette Bonello-Farrugio, Programme & Research Manager, UN INIA), ILC-I, Silver Innings and TISS oriented the participants to the diverse topics.
Certificates signed by Dr. Marvin Formosa, Director, UN INIA, Mr. Jayant Umranikar, Chairman, ILC-I and Dr. S. Parasuraman, Director, TISS, were distributed to the participants on their successful completion of the training programme by Ms. Rosette Bonello.